Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My Morning Run-Birds and Knots

This morning was a great day to get up out the of bed and lace up the running shoes. Crisp clean air that smelled like rain greeted me as I walked out the door. Off for a 30 minute run, I opted to head up stream this time. Passing early morning dog walkers and other joggers, I eased into the run, slow going as it was the first time in four days that I had done much of anything.

Knees quietly groaning as they warmed up, but by the time I reached the big tree in the trail they were fine. In part due to the awesome avian distraction: a Brown Creeper or a Northern Flicker, I am not too sure.
Northen Flicker

Part of my enjoyment of early m
orning running is that there a tons of birds out singing and dancing in the trees. If the foot falls are quite enough, you can catch a glimpse of the numerous and varied birds that live in the area. This bird is the first up close encounter that I have had. It was sitting about head high on a dead tree, motionless, but staring me down. We looked at each other for what felt like a minute but was only seconds before I realized I had to keep moving.
Brown Creeper

I have developed a habit of stopping dead in my tracks when I see birds, especially ones that I can't name. This time, it came back to bite me. That brief pause may be the reason I have a knot in my leg. Not bad, but big enough to be bothersome when trying to cross my legs.

Stretching is key! Happy running!

1 comment:

Pari said...

Ah - I'm jealous of the bird watching. You know the main trail here - a lovely stroll by jet engines and smelly swamps.